[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

Re: HV power source.

-----Original Message-----
From: Tesla List <tesla-at-pupman-dot-com>
To: tesla-at-pupman-dot-com <tesla-at-pupman-dot-com>
Date: 29 August 1998 13:38
Subject: HV power source.

>Original Poster: "Ben McMillen" <sammac-at-cobweb-dot-net>
>
>Has anyone ever tried to use ignition coils (possibly several?) as an HV
>source for TC use? If not then does anyone have any ideas how this may or
>may not work? It seems like it should if one were to take the coil out of
>it's can and immerse it in oil. Thanks for any help.
>
>Ben McMillen
>sammac-at-cobweb-dot-net

Using coils is what I'm doing right now.  But not for Tesla coils just yet.
A coil will give you around 30Kv at up to a few Ma's.  My guess is about
5ma.  You could like loads of them to give you a higer current, but you'd
need to get coils from the same cars so the input power to each coil would
be even.  You will also have to build a 12volt driver as well which will
have to handle a fair amout of amps to drive a lot of coils.  Bonus would be
that you could alter the input frequency as well which is what I'm working
on.  But after about 200Hz the power drops off at 12V so you would then have
to switch to say 50V to get back the 30Kv output  at the higher frequency.
50V and lots ofr coils makes a lot of heat and you'd need a lot trnasistor
to drive it all.

only other way would be to link the primarys in series for mains uses and
the outputs in paralell.  Yuo'd need not need a transistor driver as you'd
yet mains 50Hz nayway.

BEWARE, the secondary return of the coil is connected to the + end of the
primary.  You'll have to dismantle the case and make a new connection for
the secondary return.  I drill a hole, then add a small screw for my return,
then simply unsolder it and solder it to the screw.  Then its just the
matter of putting it all back together.

Chris.