[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

Re: design presentation, and 1 question (Cap size)

Hi Terry:

I think that your advice about using the 2X rated cap may only be valid
when using a sync RSG, where only one bang per half-cycle is possible.
For static gaps, as in the case of the original poster, if the gaps are
spaced to fire at or near the xfmr peak voltage and the cap is sized for
resonant charging, then the gap will fire multiple times per half cycle,
resulting in the same (or better?) average power throughput.  The danger
of course is that when resonant charging, setting the gap too wide could
lead to cap-popping, NST-toasting 60 Hz resonant rise.

Gary Lau
Waltham, MA USA