[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

RE: Off-axis primary inductance

Use a variometer (goniometer) coil to tune a high current circuit.  A
variometer can be made with a coil inside another coil.  one of the coils is
gimballed so it can rotate to aid or oppose the other.  As the movable
coil's axis is rotated 180 deg, the total inductance smoothly varies from
max to min.

You could probably make a variometer out of a continuous length of welding
cable with no joints or splices.  Just wind a turn or two on a 8 in pvc,
leave some slack and wind a few more on a short 4 in pvc.  Now put the small
one inside the big one on a dowel so you can rotate the small one "end for
end" inside.  With care, you can get a full 180 deg with just the slack in
the welding cable.  When the coil wires go in the same direction on both
forms, inductance is max.

Will