[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

Re: 3-phase current

Hi:

A friend just paid the local utility (ComEd, affectionately known as
Comical Edison here in Chicagoland) around $500 to route a 200A 3 Phase
drop about 200 feet, from an existing transformer bank to his building.
This would have been much higher ($2000+) if thay had needed to set a pole
or install transformers. A bigger problem than the cost may be
availability. Many strictly residential or rural areas are only served by
single phase feeders and the nearest three phase may be a long way away.
Some utility companies won't even consider running a three phase service to
a private residence at all (I knew someone who asked ComEd and was turned
down).

There's also the cost of the necessary hardware at your end to consider.
Three phase meters and service panels are not cheap and neither is the
installation. Many (most?) localities require a licensed contractor for
service installations, even if they allow you to do your own inside wiring.

Sorry to give such a gloomy answer...the only way to find out for sure is
to contact your power company. Before you do, you might want to look around
and see where the nearest 3 phase lines are.

- Mike