[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

Re: Controling a Pole Pig

In a message dated 12/6/98 1:23:43 AM Pacific Standard Time, tesla-at-pupman-dot-com
writes:

<<
      I was planning to cut the leads to the HV bushings on transformer 1
 inside the casing under the oil so that there are no live HV terminals
 exposed. I'm not sure why the secondary could be damaged, could you
 elaborate? I don't want to put anything on the secondary, cause any
 impedance I put there will get referred onto the primary, and I want a
 pure (nearly) inductance for the ballast.

Steve,

You might want to caluclate or measure the inductance presented by the pole
transformer primary with the secondary shorted and open before you remove the
connection entirely.  It depends on what range you are looking for.  As to
leaving the secondary connected and open circuit, it just doesn't seem like a
good idea to me.  The primary will certainly see a lot of serious current
pulses and anything but smooth AC which may cause very high voltage pulses on
the output if it is open circuit.  Maybe I'm being over cautious.

Ed Sonderman