[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

Re: A 20 kV DC tank supply

to: Marco

With a coil of this design 450-480 pps (bks/sec) usually provide optimum
energy levels for powerful and bright discharges.  I was wondering why you
prefer to go to 800 pps as the sparks will be much thinner and
streamer-like?  ---- certainly not as appealing to the eye.

If you are restrained to 3 phase power to operate at the desired power
level then the DC supply sounds fine, otherwise a 60 Hz supply will work
great if you have single phase power available.  60 Hz straight xmfr with
variable current limiting inductor will work excellent without all the
trouble of going to DC.  Also, DC is somewhat more difficult to quench
properly and those who have gone this route before usually fry a few
hundred $$$$ worth of diodes before getting the tuning right.

DR.RESONANCE-at-next-wave-dot-net