[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

Re: A 20 kV DC tank supply

Marco,

I believe you are on exactly the right track to have controlled TC
experiments:  a stiff DC HV supply!

As to how to transfer energy to your primary capacitor from your "flywheel"
capacitor, consider using an H-Bridge configuration, depicted below.  Larry
Robertson  uses such an arrangement, apparently with good success.  You can
contact him directly for more information, schematics, etc.

+ ----|------------------|-------------------|
     ===                 |----||---OOOOOO----|
      | 20 KV            o                   o
      | filter         gap B1              gap A2
      | cap              o                   o

Gaps A1 and A2 simultaneously fire, then Gaps B1 and B2 fire, repeating ad
finitum.  This can be done with a (more complicated) RSG, or you could
consider using triggered spark gaps.  The H-bridge avoids a spark gap
directly across the flywheel cap.

Your idea of using a current limiting inductance works also and is what
Greg Leyh uses.  But the above may be better for controlled experiments.
Keep us posted please!

--Steve