[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

Re: Saturable reactors?

>Original Poster: Scott Stephens <Scott2-at-mediaone-dot-net>

<SNIP>

>> Does anyone have a clue if this core material would have the required
>>"square" B-H curve required to make a decent mag amplifier?

The fact that you are saturating the core will result in a massively
non-linear waveform. As a result, the charging current waveform will be an
inefficient charging source. Your mains input will also become very dirty.

Having said that, a sensitive mag. amp can easily be built using a normal 50
Hz (60 Hz) E-I laminated core. The control winding can be a dc source off a
12V battery or similar, flowing in a few dozen turns. The existing mains
winding can be deployed: the 12V current can give you 90-odd per cent
current control.

Richard Craven, Malvern, England