[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

Secondary Wire?

I have a source where I can get a 10" diameter pvc pipe and I have a
question about the size of the wire I should use. This coil is going to
be ran by a 7.2kv potential transformer, it is going to be limited to
2kw. I am going to be using a .07ufd cap. I am hoping for about 6 foot
streamers or more. But by using such power what size of wire would be
best. I currently only have a spool of 22awg and a spool of 24awg magnet
wire, both are 8lb spools. I was wondering if 22awg wire will be able to
carry that kind of power. I was considering winding the coil and then
winding another layer over that and paralleling them. I know this will
reduce the resistance and thus allow a better power transfer from the
primary to the secondary. I am also wondering that if by winding a
double layer coil with 22awg wire, wouldn't the two paralleled wires act
as one single wire of a larger size. If so it should be able to
withstand the power I want. The only other downside to using 22awg is
going to be the amount of turns. I know for certain that the winding
will exceed the 1000 turn mark (~1150 turns). Is it absolutely necessary
to stay under a 1000 turns? Will it diminish any performance?

If anyone can answer these questions, please do. I need to know if this
can work and not compromise the coils performance.

Chris Jones