[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

Re: museum capacitors?

I worked at the Carnegie Science Museum in Pittsburgh. We had a 12' coil built
in 1910 or around that time. The original caps were of the Laden jar or beer
bottle type. But as times change they had to get up to speed and use comerical
caps. The caps I replaced on that coil were from West Penn Power, there used
for power line surge surpressors. The things are a beastly 120 to 180 lbs a
peice!!! And cost a whole lot more! And no they are no gods of caps like you
might think, we replaced more than 30 caps in the 6 months I was there.
(I guess it helps to get some state and federal funding.)
Yours in arcs,
Patrick