[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

Re: Toroid Design

Tesla List wrote:

> Original Poster: Esondrmn-at-aol-dot-com
>
> I have been putting off the construction of a new toroid.  My present system
> has produced 104" sparks to a grounded rod running at about 7 kva.  This
is a
> 6.0" dia coil with one 5" x 33" dia toroid mounted 10" above the top most
> winding.  This toroid provides shielding to protect the top of the coil.
> Sitting on top of that is an open aluminum cylinder (made out of roof
> flashing) that is 20" in diameter and 14" tall.  On top of that sits the
main
> 5" x 40" toroid.  When I power the system up, sparks start to leave the top
> toroid at about 60 % to 70 % of full power and at full power, I get multiple
> sparks leaving the main toroid.  I just finished some experiments with my
> smaller 3.0" dia coil and was able to add enough toroid so it just breaks
out
> at full power and produces only one discharge spark at a time.  This
> definitley improved the performance and I would like to achieve a similar
> performance with the larger coil.
>
> I am thinking about going to a 8" or maybe 10" x 50" toroid to replace the
> existing 5" x 40".  I would like comments on this.  I don't want to get
it so
> large that I can't break it out.
>
> The two existing toroids are made from 5" diameter corrugated black plastic
> drain pipe bent into a circle around a .25" thick acrylic disk.  It is then
> covered with clear packaging tape then aluminum foil tape.  Does this same
> pipe come in larger diameters like 8" or 10"?  I don't think the local
> building supply places carry anything larger than 5".  I don't want this
thing
> to be too heavy.  The coil can't support too much weight.  When I built
it, I
> thought a 4" x 14" toroid was large.  Pretty funny now.
>
> Ed Sonderman

Ed,

You definately need a larger ROC toroid - 8" or 10" (perhaps even 12")
should work. Be forewarned, however, that the increased breakout voltage
will place significantly more voltage stress on your 6" coil, and you
may begin to get interturn flashovers. I presently use an 8" ROC on a
system that delivers only 65" streamers, and get excellent field control
and single-root streamers. I also went through a 4", two 6", before
settling on the 8" ROC toroid in the processs!

For ease of construction and low cost, flexible aluminum ducting can't
be beat. Aluminum ducting is available in these diameters, but you may
need to go to a heating/ventilation supplier. I got my 8" material at a
Home Depot, but it was the largest they stocked.

Safe coilin' to you, Ed!

-- Bert --