[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

Another toroid question

Hi, I'm fairly new here, have been lurking for a couple of weeks, this is my
first post. I have been playing with a couple of small coils, (1.75 inch and
now 4 inch secondary). I am powering them with a 15kV, 60mA neon, but I am
not using any higher that 40Vac input to the xfmr due to my inadequate
capacitor, (correct capacitance, just not enough dielectric).

I have been following the discussion on toroids, has been quite helpful to
me.  My question is: What is the effect on total capacitance of stacking one
toroid on top of another? Do you add the two capacitance's? It would seem
that some surface area is lost where the toroids contact and that would make
the total capacitance somewhat less.

On my 4 inch coil I have achieved best performance so far, (15 inch sparks
to a grounded wire), by stacking a 6" x 19" on top of a 4" x 15.5" toroid. I
wanted to know the total capacitance.

This stuff is really exciting, I'm having a ball!

Thanks, Jon Rosenstiel

   jonr-at-pacbell-dot-net