[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

Re: Turn Spacing

Adam
Sounds like you found a sonotube form for your secondary. This is exactly what
I used for my 2nd coil and it has worked just fine as a form. Of course, it's
only as good as the initial preparation (sealing, etc..). I used 18 awg magnet
wire, close wound. I ended up at only ~32" winding height. In retrospect, I
wish I had wound the entire 48". I ended up trimming it down to the winding
length. For this size coil, it is a good idea to "not" go lower than a 4:1
height/diam. ratio. Big coils = big juice = big sparks (hopefully), and with
big sparks so close to the primary winding, the toroid to primary distance
becomes a factor best designed in than discovered later as an error. I plan to
add another 12" of winding to my secondary soon to correct my error. I don't
think 700 or 750 turns is going to play a huge role in performance, but
decreasing c-self via inner-turn spacing might be an advantage. Since I
haven't
wound anything except close wound coils, I'll let others comment who have.
However, I did want to point out some of my errors with this coil size as food
for thought.

One last comment. I would suggest mounting disks at each end (minimum) with a
2" pvc pipe mounted in the in the center and to the disks extending through
the
full length of the secondary for additional support. If extend up a few inches
above the top disk, it will also aid as a toroid support beam.

Big coils - Big toroids - Big power = BIG SPARKS!
Bart (still trying to get there)