[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

Re: DC behavior with AC TC

Tesla List wrote:

> I have discovered that my Telsa coil, under certain conditions, can not
> only drive a pop-bottle electrostatic motor (see William Beaty's site
> for design details), but also feed a working charge to my Van De Graaff.

> Anyone else been intrigued by this sort of politically incorrect
> behavior? Explanations and comments welcomed.

Apparently, sparks/corona occur more easily in one direction than in
other.
Negative electricity escapes to the air more easily than "positive
electricity",
because electrons move more easily than the lack of them ("holes").
I would expect a lot of negative electricity around an operating Tesla
coil.
But the charges can be positive also, because negative charges escape
more
easily from objects under the influence of the electric field of a Tesla
coil. Anyway, this explains what you observe. Did you verify the
polarity
of the charge in the Van de Graaff and in the active terminal of the
motor?

Antonio Carlos M. de Queiroz