[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

Re: larger wire for a smaller coil

If #18 wire is all you have give it a try.  Its better than nothing at all.
If you come across some smaller wire some day you can always build another
secondary coil and replace the other one.  And its also a learning experence
and lots of fun.  I have built coils with 300 turns and they work, but not
as well as 700 to 950 turns.  Check you phone book yellow pages under
"Electric Motor Repair".  You can get enamel coated copper wire from them
for about $5 to $8 a lb.

Gary Weaver