[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

Tupperware and vacuums

----------
From:  Joshua Resnick [SMTP:seraphim-at-WPI.EDU]
Sent:  Thursday, February 05, 1998 1:58 PM
To:  Tesla List
Subject:  Tupperware and vacuums

Tesla List,
    My name is Joshua Resnick and I'm just finishing my first coil.  I
have a couple questions though.
I cut open some microwave transformers and removed the coils for chokes,
the secondaries are 275 mH and the primaries are 1.5 mH.  The
secondaries are too thin and the primaries are too low in value.  Is
there a type of ferrite core that I could insert to boost the inductance
while not saturating?
Also I sealed my secondary (10' sonotube' with polyurethane on the
inside and outside, should I put plexiglass caps on the ends?
I am building a .08 uf cap with 9 layers of  6mil poly per dialectric
and aluminum foil. The cap is an interleaved stack. My trannies put out
around 10kV, when I plug what I have done so far (to test for shorts) ,
it seems to work fine. I want to pot it in mineral oil in some type of
large , flat Tupperware container.  Does anybody have experience doing
this?  What type of pressure can I bring such a container down too
before causing it to fail? How should I seal the container? Comments?

             ____
      /\/\ ((____)) /\/\/\/\                Joshua Resnick
     /       |  |    \       \       http://www.glubco-dot-com/weaponry
   /         |  |      \/\/\   \ __  http://ece.wpi.edu/~seraphim