[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

Voltage/Length (fwd)

----------
From:  Bert Hickman [SMTP:bert.hickman-at-aquila-dot-com]
Sent:  Thursday, February 05, 1998 9:05 AM
To:  Tesla List
Subject:  Re: Voltage/Length (fwd)

John and all,

The MAXIMUM voltage a coil will produce can be demonstrated to follow
the Vp*sqrt(Cp/Cs) relationship. However, this assumes no breakout. If
you get breakout, the maximum voltage will always be lower than this
amount. Why?? Because you're stuck with only X joules per bang, and if
you breakout before all the primary energy has been transferred to the
secondary, you're losing some of this energy heating the air, and will
NOT hit the maximum output. I do concur that Maximum (non-breakout) coil
voltage does NOT mean maximum spark length, but for a whole host of
other reasons dealing with repetitive ionization of previous spark
channels and the amount of average power (bangs/second) being dumped
into heating the air...

-- Bert --