[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

Vacuum Tubes for spark gap (fwd)

----------
From:  richard hull [SMTP:rhull-at-richmond.infi-dot-net]
Sent:  Sunday, February 08, 1998 6:29 PM
To:  Tesla List
Subject:  Re: Vacuum Tubes for spark gap (fwd)

At 10:46 AM 2/7/98 -0600, you wrote:

>Date: Wed, 4 Feb 1998 19:51:17 -0500
>From: "Alfred C. Erpel" <aerpel-at-op-dot-net>
>To: Tesla List <tesla-at-pupman-dot-com>
>Subject: Vacuum Tubes for spark gap
>
>Hello All,
>
>    I was wondering if there are inexpensive vacuum tubes that have internal
>plates spaced a suitable distance so that you could just pick up the two
>connections to these plates only and connect the appropriate number of tubes
>in series in this way so that you have the total proper distance spark gap.
>
>    1) is there any reason you couldn't use a vacuum tube(s) in this way?
>Perhaps power limitations through the prongs?

Vacuum power disappation is by radiation only, unless some huge heat
conductive electrodes are used and passed to the outside world for air
cooling.  You will not have good luck using a vacuum gap.

Richard Hull

>    2) assuming you could use vacuum tubes in this way, would they
>automatically quench at the resonant frequency of the circuit?

They would quench at what ever the gap break down voltage was in the
specific pressure of the chamber.

Richard Hull

  If not,
>would they quench at a faster rate than any air gap can be made to quench.

Absolutely, they would be an almost perfect quencher.

Richard Hull

>    3) assuming this works, this would be real quiet, right?

Yes, quite quiet compared to a similar air gap.
Richard Hull

>    I understand that vacuum tubes are alive and well in the former Soviet
>Union, since they never abandoned (moved past) this technology.

Don't kid yourself,  The Russians are quite advanced in their electronics.
They make tubes mainly for us capitalist dogs for use in our restored 60's
stereos.  The Chicoms are the really big tube producers and users.  They'll
not be impeded by EMP when the balloons go up.

Richard Hull, TCBOR