[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

Series or parallel? (fwd)

----------
From:  baumann-at-proton.llumc.edu [SMTP:baumann-at-proton.llumc.edu]
Sent:  Tuesday, February 10, 1998 2:14 AM
To:  tesla-at-pupman-dot-com
Subject:  Re: Series or parallel? (fwd)

On 10 Feb, Tesla List wrote:

> Date: Mon, 9 Feb 1998 17:54:03 -0700
> From: Tim Dempsey <tdempsey-at-easley-dot-net>
> To: Tesla List <tesla-at-pupman-dot-com>
> Subject: Re: Series or parallel? (fwd)
>
>> > Also, I would like to know where the strike rail for the
>> > primary connects into the circuit? Thanks in advance.
>> It doesn't. At least not into your tank. Your strike rail should
>> be connected to the same RF ground that you have your secondary
>> connected to. [and your bypass caps, and your neon tranny's core.]
>
> If I connect the srike rail to the RF gound what keeps the spark discharge from
> continually striking the rail instead of discharging into the air? BTW my coil
> is under construction, I am currently working on the secondary form. It's 7"
> dia. x  28" , so can
> I plan on getting any more than 28" streamers?  Thanks for your help.

Quite a number of things actually, the shape of the field, your toroid,
etc. I have two coils, one is a mere 3.5x10" , and produces 18"
arcs when powered with 720VA (normally run with only 360VA and producing
14" arcs), the other is 6.25x25" , and produces 34" arcs from 720VA. In
both cases the majority of the arcs do not strike the rail, though some
do.

Most of the arcs jet out rather nicely away from the coil.
With your 7x28 inch coil, I see no reason you could not get at least
28", assuming the rest of your system is built well.

[now if I ever get around to fixing my quench problem on the 6" coils
gap, I expect to get much better than 34"]

--
--
Michael Baumann  Optivus Technology Inc.|Loma Linda University Medical Center