[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

Series or parallel? (fwd)

----------
From:  Esondrmn-at-aol-dot-com [SMTP:Esondrmn-at-aol-dot-com]
Sent:  Wednesday, February 11, 1998 12:43 PM
To:  tesla-at-pupman-dot-com
Subject:  Re: Series or parallel? (fwd)

<<
 If I connect the srike rail to the RF gound what keeps the spark discharge
from
 continually striking the rail instead of discharging into the air? BTW my
coil
 is under construction, I am currently working on the secondary form. It's 7"
 dia. x  28" , so can
 I plan on getting any more than 28" streamers?  Thanks for your help.

 Tim

Tim,

With a 40 to 50" toroid and a heafty power supply you should be able to get
80" to 100" sparks with this coil.  I would suggest a flat pancake primary to
aid in keeping the strikes away from the primary, and a strike rail.  The
purpose of the strike rail is not to attract sparks but to divert any that
might otherwise hit the primary.

I have had success on my small coil by using two toroids stacked on top of
each other with a metal stovepipe like column between them.  Make the top
toroid about 20 or 30% smaller than the bottom toroid.  Most all of the long
sparks will leave from the top toroid and provide that much more protection
from hitting the primary.

Ed Sonderman