[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

A working Magnifier system! (fwd)

---------- Forwarded message ----------
Date: Thu, 12 Feb 1998 08:11:40 -0500
From: dwight duncan <duncand-at-ccsalpha2.nrl.navy.mil>
To: tesla-at-pupman-dot-com
Subject: A working Magnifier system!

Hi all,

    Last night I had gotten a little frustrated with my coil and decided to
cobble together a three coil system.  I had tried it in the passed with
little success.  Once I got a system to work using a solid state network
and got a gain of 1000 in voltage.  I supplied 60 volts and got 3 inch arcs
from the terminal.  Over 60 volt input the mosfets would fail, but that was
a long time ago and now I wanted to use a rotary gap and go for it.
    Anyway last night I took 12 gauge stranded electrical wire and put 100
turns on a 8 inch dia. plexi tube and this measured out to 1 foot of turns.
 For the primary I used the same wire and with 2X4's wound in about the
center of the secondary 5 turns with a separation between 1/2 to 1 inch(it
varied like I said I cobbled it together in about 45 min).  I hooked the
secondary to the bottom of my big coil four feet away again using the same
type of wire.  I tapped the primary at four turns at first.  Using my 10 Kv
300 ma supply and my rotary gap and a primary cap of .08 micro F, fired it
up and of the to of the toroid I saw a 4 inch wispy discharge.  I tapped
down to three turns and tried it again.  I got a solid 27 inch discharge.
I sounded like the quintessential mad scientist with my freakish laughter
of triumph!  With hardly trying I got my first real magnifier working.
    Let me say it was some of the most shoty workmanship I have ever done
and would not dare show it to anyone.  I think if I was to put some time
and effort into it and rebuild it with care I could get some serious output
from this beast.  I do have one question however; on the rf transformers
secondary, what is the optimum number of turns is there is any.  With just
the transformer running I could only draw a 2 inch arc to ground off the
secondary, with the turns ratio of 30:1 and applying 10Kv I should get an
output of 300 Kv.  Also 12 gauge wire may not be optimum here ether.
    Does anyone have any answers or suggestions to these questions, I am
treading in new water here and any help would be appreciated.  As a side
note I did have a look of the wave forms and I saw the low frequency of the
rf transformer and the 200 Khz wave from the resonator, this is just as one
would expect.  I am extremely pleased so far and hope you might give me
some guidance to go further with this.

Thank you all,

Dwight