[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

Re: rotary problem (fwd)

---------- Forwarded message ----------
Date: Thu, 12 Feb 1998 11:58:07 +0000
From: Greg Leyh <lod-at-pacbell-dot-net>
To: Tesla List <tesla-at-pupman-dot-com>
Subject: Re: rotary problem

Tesla List wrote:

> <<     Anyway this is my whole system and I am running out of ideas for the
> > cause of this problem and to John or anyone that might have some insight
> > please reply and any or all comments are greatly appreciated.
>
> > PS.  The secondaries resonance is measured at 220 KHz and the primary is
> > tapped out at almost five turns.
>
> > Thanks,
>
> > Dwight
>   >>

> Dwight,
>
> Maybe some sort of unwanted resonances are occuring in the input
> chokes, or maybe the coil is not properly in tune?  Or maybe the safety
> gaps need to be a little wider?  (although too wide will ruin the
> trannies).  This is all I can think of at the moment.  You'll get it
> working properly though.
>
> John Freau

I have found PSPICE to be an incredibly valuable
tool in tracking down 'unwanted resonances', voltage
spikes and the like.  For instance, PSPICE correctly
predicted that when the diodes in the 3-phase stack
switched, the switching action would excite the
self-resonant frequency of the charging reactor!
I verified this at low power, and then added some
critically-damped snubbers.

PSPICE has definitely saved me much smoke over the
years, and although a computer simulation cannot
guarantee success, it can certainly predict failure!

-GL