[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

Re: Capton wire, etc.?? (fwd)

---------- Forwarded message ----------
Date: Fri, 13 Feb 1998 06:18:39 -0800
From: Bert Hickman <bert.hickman-at-aquila-dot-com>
To: Tesla List <tesla-at-pupman-dot-com>
Subject: Re: Capton wire, etc.?? (fwd)

Tesla List wrote:

> [...]

Jim,

Kapton insulated wire will work, but you'll have considerably less
inductance because of the fewer turns/inch. Stranded wire will also work
with little problem - the reduction in Q between solid and stranded
should not have any significant impact on your coil's performance. While
you might be able to "instrument" a reduced Q, you shouldn't see much
difference once the sparks are a flyin'.

Sounds like the 54xxx series DIPS are military spec
Transistor-Transistor Logic or a variant such as Schottky (STTL) or
Low-Power Schottky (LSTTL). While these are more tolerant of power
supply voltage variations and have a wider operating temperature range,
they are every bit as sensitive to EMI and Tesla Coil damage as their
industrial or commercial grade cousins.

Safe coilin' to you, Jim!

-- Bert --