[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

Re: TC RMS Conditions - was Voltage/Length etc. (fwd)

---------- Forwarded message ----------
Date: Sat, 14 Feb 1998 23:52:58 +0000
From: "John H. Couture" <couturejh-at-worldnet.att-dot-net>
To: Tesla List <tesla-at-pupman-dot-com>
Subject: Re: TC RMS Conditions - was Voltage/Length etc. (fwd)

  Antonio, All -

  From your remarks it is obvious I have not made myself clear regarding RMS
conditions. I agree that RMS can be confusing. It is a mathematical
calculation to determine electrical losses or energy consumed in all types
of waveforms. In computing the RMS values for voltage, and current the
equations contain an integral for the "mean" in the root, mean, square
(RMS). This integral uses time both as a finite value and a "dt" interval.
The Tesla coil transformer also uses time in two different ways.

 In the TC primary the input wattage is a continuous RMS condition (pseudo
sinusoidal steady state). The TC secondary output is an instantaneous
condition (transient). This means that in the TC transformer the electrical
energy can be stored in the TC primary capacitor on a continuous basis but
the energy in the secondary is released in short pulses of sparks on a
RANDOM basis . A drawing showing this condition is in several publications
including my Tesla Coil Construction Guide.

  This type of electrical operation means that power can be magnified by
changing the time intervals in the primary and secondary circuits . This
type of power magnification occurs in many kinds of electrical devices.

  The basic equations in my opinion for Tesla coil operation are as follows:

  The Tesla coil primary energy (Jp) equations per break are:
     Joules = input watts (continuous)/breaks
     Jp = .5 Cp Vp^2 x eff

  The Tesla coil secondary energy (Js) equations are:
      Js = Jp/dt = sec  watts (instantaneous) x eff = Vs x Is = Is^2 x Rs
      Js = ,5 Cs Vs^2 x eff

  The Tesla coil secondary voltage and spark length equation is:
       Spark inches = (KVs/65)^1.43
  This equation is from empirical data and subject to change when more data
becomes available. The spark length is a controlled spark length. Note that
the current affects the appearence of the spark so this parameter should be
calculated as above.

  It is obvious that beginning with the known input wattage for the TC it is
possible to determine the TC output provided the efficiency and the dt time
values can be found. This is the real world Tesla coil problem. Three
scientists, Tuve, Breit, and Dahl  solved this problem for their 5 million
volt coil in 1930. The power magnification was 567 and the current was 340 ma.

  Certainly there are many other ideas out there. Generally only isolated
equations are shown. The advantage to using a set of equations from input
watts to spark length is that both input watts and spark length can be
easily measured to verify the equations. The JHCTES TC computer program
starts with input wattage and outputs spark inches. The program has a total
of 46 parameters that are coordinated to produce a tuned coil. This program
has proven to be reasonably accurate over the several years it has been
used. There are no other programs similar to it for comparing results.

  What is your explanation of how the energy and power is utilized in the
Tesla coil, input watts to spark length?

  How about other coilers? Energy and power only, plus equations. Note that
TC resonance does not magnify power.

  John Couture