[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

Re: Pancake Primary (fwd)

---------- Forwarded message ----------
Date: Sat, 14 Feb 1998 23:34:03 -0800
From: Bert Hickman <bert.hickman-at-aquila-dot-com>
To: Tesla List <tesla-at-pupman-dot-com>
Subject: Re: Pancake Primary (fwd)

Tesla List wrote:

> [...]

Steve,

You may actually get better results using copper tubing, since the round
profile is less conducive to generating corona and flashovers. In any
event, and approximation of the inductance of a flat primary at turn "N"
can be found for either:

                    Center
                     Line

   O 0 0 0 0 0 0 0     |     0 0 0 0 0 0 0 O

   |<----------------->|<--->|
            a             b

    a = outer radius at turn "N" (inches)
    b = inner radius (inches)
    N = turn number
    R = Ave. Radius = (a+b)/2
    W = coil width at turn "N" = a-b

    L = (R^2 )*(N^2)/(8*R + 11*W) in MicroHenries

Generally, the innermost radius (a) should provide at least 1.5" of
clearance to the secondary coil to prevent primary:secondary flashovers.
You should also have no less than 1/4" of air space between adjacent
primary turns, and more (3/8" - 1/2") if you're running at higher power
levels or with few primary turns.

Safe coilin' to you!

-- Bert --