[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

Multi-layered Secondary HELP!!

----------
From:  Zuma [SMTP:mwise-at-ns.sosis-dot-com]
Sent:  Sunday, February 15, 1998 1:58 AM
To:  tesla-at-pupman-dot-com
Subject:  Multi-layered Secondary HELP!!

I am considering making a very small portable tesla coil. But before I
do this I need to clear up how I am going to wind the secondary. First
of all I am planning on making a secondary coil with these demensions,
3.25"o.d. x 9.75"height giving it a 3:1 ratio. I know this sounds way
too small but hear me out. I want to make a multi layered secondary,
basically to increase the pf, mh and lower the frequency. I want to have
three layers to the coil, but I don't know if the windings have to be
three seperate windings wound one on top of the other or if it needs to
be one continuous winding. I would think that having a continuous
winding would be what I need, but I want to make sure before I biuld it.
I also would like to know how well the magnet wire would hold up to
having that many windings over each other, it seems like it would put a
voltage strain between the windings. I was planning on insulating each
of the windings with about 2 layers of polyethylene tape or high
dielectric strength electrical tape. The winding I am considering starts
at the bottom winds to the top, then I insulate it and wind back down to
the bottom, insulate again and wind to the top and coat it in
polyurethane. Does this sound right or should I wind one layer then the
next layer and then the last layer, each not being connected to the
others and then all three connected to ground and the three on top all
connected the terminal. Which is right or will they both work??

Chris