[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

Toroidal Chokes???? (fwd)

----------
From:  Malcolm Watts [SMTP:MALCOLM-at-directorate.wnp.ac.nz]
Sent:  Sunday, February 15, 1998 4:46 PM
To:  Tesla List
Subject:  Re: Toroidal Chokes???? (fwd)

A note on the use of ferrites in chokes:

> Date: Sat, 14 Feb 1998 15:48:03 +0000
> From: Gwyn Zucca <gwyn-at-tcbod.demon.co.uk>
> To: Tesla List <tesla-at-pupman-dot-com>
> Subject: Re: Toroidal Chokes???? (fwd)
>
> In message <Pine.LNX.3.95.980214083807.22208C-100000-at-pupman-dot-com>, Tesla
> List <tesla-at-pupman-dot-com> writes

I agree, but beware of using ungapped cores made of this material
unless the inductance is real high because the lack of airgap will
allow the cores to saturate easily. Magnetic material is capable of
storing very little energy. Most is stored in the airgap of gapped
inductors. A better choice for a core you don't want to stick a gap
in is a low permeability one as this will have a distributed airgap
(well iron-powder cores do anyway). Of course, low permeability = low
inductance for a given number of turns so there is a horrible
tradeoff occurring. Frequency-wise, 3C85 is a good choice.

Malcolm