[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

Is 0.5*C*V*V vaild? (Was Output Voltages and Voltage/Length)

----------
From:  Esondrmn-at-aol-dot-com [SMTP:Esondrmn-at-aol-dot-com]
Sent:  Tuesday, February 17, 1998 10:39 AM
To:  tesla-at-pupman-dot-com
Subject:  Re: Is 0.5*C*V*V vaild?  (Was Output Voltages and  Voltage/Length)

<< Jim, Greg -

   You did not mention input energy. If you are saying that increasing the
 number of breaks will increase the spark length without increasing the input
 energy you are getting into the realm of over unity energy gain. An
 increasing spark length can indicate more energy consumed by the load
 requiring more input energy if there are no other changes.

John,  On my system, keeping the variac setting and ballast settings fixed,
increasing the rotary gap speed definitely increases spark length.  If I
remember correctly, the input current to the pole transformer also increases
as rotary speed increases.

Ed Sonderman

   Note that the voltage can be increased at the toroid by reducing the "dt"
 conditions with no other changes. However, this cannot be done with the
 energy at the toroid. I agree that "its all in the timing". By reducing the
 "dt" the voltage at the toroid can be increased because of the equation

      VA = Watts = joules/dt

   The quantity of electricity (coulombs) on the toroid is

    Q = A dt

   It is obvious there is a limit on the "dt" because the time must be
 sufficient to charge the toroid to the proper voltage.

   I agree a path of ionized air helps with the spark length but I do not
 agree that the voltage on the toroid has nothing to do with the extended
 length of the spark. If this was correct the spark length could be increased
 beyond limit with the same voltage on the toroid.

   The breakout is not dependent on the C. It is dependent on the radius of
 curvature and roughness of the toroid surface and the surrounding
environment.

   John Couture