[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

Connecting Microwave Trannies in Series - how?

----------
From:  Nasalharp-at-aol-dot-com [SMTP:Nasalharp-at-aol-dot-com]
Sent:  Tuesday, February 17, 1998 4:32 PM
To:  tesla-at-pupman-dot-com
Subject:  Re: Connecting Microwave Trannies in Series - how?

Greetings,

2 in series - centre point connected to ground works fine
if every thing is in phase.
4 in series apparently works fine to if the outer transformers are under oil.

2100v is not enough for a coil - the gap would be very narrow with huge
quenching
problems. 4000v maybe. Have you considered putting your beefy xformer on
one side and a matched pair in // on the other?

I've had good results using a 5500v 350mA xformer, on the primary side I use
two microwaves as inductors for current limiting (secondaries shorted out,
primaries connected in series together with a variac used as a variable
inductor.)
Resonance rise in the inductors gives a much increased output voltage.

4 or 5 narrow gaps work much better than one large gap.

Have fun,

Alan Sharp UK

In a message dated 17/02/98 06:39:33 GMT, you write:

<< <<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<
 Hi, I'm wanting to make a beefy HV power supply for Tesla use.  I have a
 number of 1000W (VA?) trannies and a very large 1800va trannie (I can
 pull a spark out from this to about 6 inches!)  The mains here in New
 Zealand is 230V 50hz and I was wondering if there is a special way to
 hook these in series to get a higher voltage.  I have heard of people
 running 2 in series and others say you cant series more but others i
 have heard have used as many as 6 in series.  Obviously the insulation
 on these is not made for that kind of voltage but If I inserted them
 under USP oil in an acrylic box would that protect them?

 Of course i know that I cant really mix and match the trannies as the
 higher amperage ones would be limited by the maximum amperage of the
 smaller ones.

 Also I was wondering whether or not one can make a good performing tesla
 coil from only the 2100v-at-850mA transformer.  Does one really need the
 high voltage?  Of course aperage would mean I would need a rather large
 capacitor but I wouldnt need such thick poly with the low voltage.
 Would secondary windings need to be different from the norm?