[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

TC enfeeblement (deliberate)

----------
From:  baumann-at-proton.llumc.edu [SMTP:baumann-at-proton.llumc.edu]
Sent:  Tuesday, February 17, 1998 1:43 AM
To:  tesla-at-pupman-dot-com
Subject:  Re: TC enfeeblement (deliberate)

On 16 Feb, Tesla List wrote:
>   *Primary surge impedance and inductance is lower
>   *Primary losses are higher due to the coax losses, and the lower
>    surge impedance.  Also gap losses are higher.
>   *Frequency is higher
>   *Secondary has less inductance
>
> This test does not of course tell us which of the above parameters
> are causing the greatest percentage spark degradation, but it does
> dramatically highlight the need for proper TC design and component
> selection for optimal coil performance.

John:
It would be interesting to see what happens when you tweak only one
coil (assuming you can get resonance). You've twisted so many knobs
that there really is no information here, other than bad choices
make for bad coils. One wonders if you had gotten 1500 turns of
your PVC wire what would have happened (besides the coil being
almost 6ft tall). Were coupling values the same?
We used to have a guy running our accelerator that had a tuning
technique we called 'Martinizing'. He'd tweak 3 or 4 settings in
one beam cycle. Which one affected the beam? Who the heck knew?

Just a wag on my part, but I would guess that the primary plays a
bigger role than the secondary in this situation. I don't know the
characteristics of that coax, but if it is 'lossy', and provides
resistance, would this not spoil the entire Q of the primary system,
preventing the energy transfer to the secondary?

Did any components get hot? If so, which ones, and where?

My 6.5" system is wound on a poly form as well, and to date, my max
spark is only 36" with 720VA - mind you that strike left a char mark
on the wood ladder. I know one of my problems is quenching in my gap -
I am going to add a small sync rotary to my Cylinder gap - while I am
sure a monster vacuum would also help, It makes a lot of noise between
runs - and I gotta keep the wife happy.

--
--
Michael Baumann  Optivus Technology Inc.|Loma Linda University Medical Center