[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

Building a monster Tesla coil

----------
From:  Jeff W. Parisse [SMTP:jparisse-at-teslacoil-dot-com]
Sent:  Wednesday, February 18, 1998 7:08 PM
To:  Tesla List
Subject:  Re: Building a monster Tesla coil

Frank,

We all want to help you build that monster coil, however, you
may not realize that the cost, complexities and danger of a Tesla
coil exponentially increases with size. A coil of the size you
describe is unimaginably difficult to construct as a first project
even if you are equipped with a Ph.D. in the brain department.

A properly constructed (read: no cheap plywood, no exposed wire,
commercial caps, machined moving parts, etc.) is gonna cost
thousands of dollars to build. Probably more than ten.

My advice no matter how smart you are, how much time you have,
or how much money you have to spend is to start small and work up.

To paraphrase a saying: If you need plans to build one, you probably
shouldn't start with a fifteen footer.

Jeff W. Parisse, Director
kVA Effects
www.teslacoil-dot-com