[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

BIG Capacitors

----------
From:  Bert Hickman [SMTP:bert.hickman-at-aquila-dot-com]
Sent:  Wednesday, February 18, 1998 11:43 PM
To:  Tesla List
Subject:  Re: BIG Capacitors

Tesla List wrote:

> ----------

Ed and all,

I suspect the big electrolytics couldn't withstand the voltage
reversals. This is not normally a problem with a magnetizer, since as
you know the coil is typically "crowbarred" (short-circuited) near the
first current maximum point, and the caps never see a reversal. However,
this is not the case for simple can crushers, where an 80-95% voltage
reversal is the norm...

I think you're correct about it being a spectacular discharge especially
if the electrolytics explosively vented... :^)

-- Bert --