[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

A tragic coil

----------
From:  Antonio Carlos M. de Queiroz [SMTP:acmq-at-compuland-dot-com.br]
Sent:  Wednesday, February 18, 1998 9:02 PM
To:  Tesla List
Subject:  Re: A tragic coil

mark wrote:

>  1. I have used banks of 630V caps before with no problems.

Probably with lower voltage. Some capacitors may accept far more voltage,
but it is a question of luck.

>  2. The wire on the secondary is a marone/red colour. Does this mean it is
> enammeled?
> Does that also meam that the turns can touch??

If they have some kind of varnish over them, probably yes.

> The turns on this coil are separated so if it was uninsulated wire, then
> would it still work or should I trash this coil and build one myself??????

Your coil looks rather small for a Tesla coil.

>  3. I replaced the 630V caps with a bank of 3KV caps and then a strange thin
> happened. When I turned it on....no sparks but absolutly MASSIVE RF
> interference. The tv in another room lost the reception (I was told) and the
> auto garage door opened up by itself and went "haywire" till I turned the
> coil off. It also lit up a neon light at about 10cm from the coil.

The coil is probably working, but at low voltage due to the small number of
turns in the secondary coil and/or imperfect (any?) tuning.

Antonio Carlos M. de Queiroz
mailto:acmq-at-compuland-dot-com.br
http://www.coe.ufrj.br/~acmq