[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

Ferrite rods

----------
From:  Bill the arcstarter [SMTP:arcstarter-at-hotmail-dot-com]
Sent:  Friday, February 20, 1998 10:37 AM
To:  tesla-at-pupman-dot-com
Subject:  Ferrite rods

It was written:

>>From:  Edward V. Phillips [SMTP:ed-at-alumni.caltech.edu]
>>"Over the weekend I fluoro'd a commercially-made rod choke, >about
>>1/2 inch in diameter by 5 inches long.  The inside was composed >of
>>five 1-inch lengths of ferrite bar, with about a 1/16 inch gap
>>between each rod.  Perhaps Malcolm's comments explain why this
>>wasn't just one solid ferrite bar."
>
>Any idea what the inductance is?  The effective permeability
>of that gapped rod core is probably less than 20, so wouldn't
>expect enough inductance to be of any use for TC work.  What
>frequency does it operate at?  Flux density is proportional to the
>voltage across the coil and inversely proportional to core area,
>number of turns, and frequency.

I'll go measure the inductance it this weekend.  It was used in a
sparkgap configuration inside a Hobart welder, with two 0.004 uf caps in
parallel, all bussed together with 3/16 wide copper bars.  The "primary"
consisted of ten turns around the ferrite bars, so the inductance will
be tiny at best.

I checked out and ordered a bunch of stuff from Amidon.  Thanks for the
tip!  They have all sorts of ferrites, iron powder, and other forms
available.

-Bill the arcstarter
Amidon: http://www.bytemark-dot-com/amidon