[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

How do I make my HV chokes?

----------
From:  Gary Lau  26-Feb-1998 1250 [SMTP:lau-at-hdecad.ENET.dec-dot-com]
Sent:  Thursday, February 26, 1998 12:13 PM
To:  tesla-at-pupman-dot-com
Subject:  How do I make my HV chokes?

>From:  bmack [SMTP:bmack-at-frontiernet-dot-net]
>How about a common mode choke?
>Has anyone tried this?  One possible configuration might be two
>spirals separated by poly' with  a small cap across the NST side.
>Comments?
>Jim McVey

The only advantage to using a common mode choke would be to exclude the
60 Hz charging current component from contributing to core saturation.
In my simulations, the most significant choke currents were not from
charging currents, but in the ringdown of the bypass cap energy when the
gap closes.  In the (flat?) spiral configuration you describe, it sounds
like an air-core design, so saturation is a non-issue.

I think since the two bypass caps and two chokes would resonate at
slightly different frequencies, ringdown currents would be randomly out
of phase and not be common mode.

Gary Lau
Waltham, MA USA