[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

Strange Spark Phenomena

----------
From:  Antonio Carlos M. de Queiroz [SMTP:acmq-at-compuland-dot-com.br]
Sent:  Friday, January 30, 1998 11:23 PM
To:  Tesla List
Subject:  Re: Strange Spark Phenomena

Jim Lux wrote:

> I have noticed a phenomenon with my Van deGraaf generator that the sparks
> are divided into two parts, a bright part and a thin part, always the same
> orientation relative to the polarity of the discharge.  This might be
> because of the phenomenon of limited stored energy, where the leader
> extends, then collapses back into the electrode.

In a low-energy DC spark the positive end is always brighter. Apparently
because the current is more concentrated at that end. I have seen also (DC)
sparks with bright and dim areas in a pattern along the spark, and the
patterns changing with the distance between the terminals. I suspect of
oscillations at very high frequency, with nodes with higher and lower
currents formed.

Antonio Carlos M. de Queiroz
mailto:acmq-at-compuland-dot-com.br
http://www.coe.ufrj.br/~acmq