[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

Lamp Oil

----------
From:  gweaver [SMTP:gweaver-at-earthlink-dot-net]
Sent:  Sunday, February 01, 1998 1:38 PM
To:  Tesla-at-pupman-dot-com
Subject:  Lamp Oil

I bought some high voltage transformer oil from the power company about a
year ago.  The oil reminded me of something I had seen before but couldn't
remember what it was until today.

Today I decided to fire up one of my stirling hot air engines using lamp oil
instead of alcohol.  The lamp oil reminded me of the high voltage oil so I
got out some HV oil and took a closer look.  They both look, smell and feel
about the same.

I did a quick experement.  I made 2 rolled poly caps that both measure .0016
uf each without oil.  I put one cap in HV oil and I put the other cap in
lamp oil. I connected each cap one at a time to my TC and they both work
just fine.  Discharge sparks appear to be the same using either cap.

I got the lamp oil at Wal Mart in a quart plastic bottle.  It is the
uncented oil.  Has anyone tried lamp oil in caps before?  It seems to be
doing fine in this little mickey mouse experement I did.

Gary Weaver