[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

Tanny in alliance with Satan

----------
From:  Shaun [SMTP:shaunobrien-at-geocities-dot-com]
Sent:  Sunday, February 01, 1998 10:51 PM
To:  Tesla List
Subject:  Re: Tanny in alliance with Satan

Dan,

    Unpotting neons will bring most neons back to life. Use a OHM meter on
the side that isn't working to see if the secondary wind is sill good. If it
is unpotting it will most likely make it work again. I've found a hammer and
chisel to be the best and safest way to unpot a neon. I unpoted 2 dead neons
before just cause I wanted to see what the looked like one time. (I didn't
know you could fix them at the time.) Another way if the secondary winding
is good (should read about the same as the other side. case to midpoint.) is
to put your neon in a 250º F oven for half an hour or so to melt the tar.
This sometimes works and you don't have to remove the tar. Put a pan you
don't like under the neon incase some tar leaks out. You should let it stay
in the oven until you can here the tar slosh a little when you shake it.
Then let the neon cool then test it again. If this didn't work then you'll
need to remove the tar. This usully takes an hour or so from start to finish
for me. If it's your first time it may take 2-3 hours. Then your neon should
work fine. You can use it without putting it in anything, but if you can get
some mineral oil and submerge it in that. Put some extra  insulation around
the secondarys too. Pieces cut from plactic bottles will work well. Good
luck on your fixing and happy coiling.

Shaun O'Brien