[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

Buck Boost

----------
From:  Thomas McGahee [SMTP:tom_mcgahee-at-sigmais-dot-com]
Sent:  Monday, February 02, 1998 9:59 AM
To:  Tesla List
Cc:  ghunter-at-mail.enterprise-dot-net
Subject:  Re: Buck Boost

Greg,
Congratulations on obtaining a genuine pole pig!

Looks like you have a good grasp on the fundamentals here. Yes, the amount
'dropped' (not exactly the correct word here, but you know what I mean)
depends on the relative inductances of the pole pig primary and the
series connected inductance. You also have to factor in the effect of
any external resistance employed, and whether it is in series or in
parallel. But yes, the idea is to limit the current just enough so that you
are not popping circuit breakers and dimming the lights throughout
the entire neighborhood.

Forget buck/boost. Instead we use the old variac to do that trick. By
wiring it up for an output greater than the input, you obtain the
desired result very simply. Of course, if you don't HAVE a variac
then you might want to try buck/boost, but be forewarned that you will
need a transformer that is capable of handling a LOT of amps!!!

Hope this helps.
Fr. Tom McGahee