[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

Silicon oil?

----------
From:  Jim Lux [SMTP:jimlux-at-earthlink-dot-net]
Sent:  Monday, February 02, 1998 11:10 AM
To:  Tesla List
Subject:  Re: Silicon oil?

> ----------

Grab it.. Silicone oils are nice as insulators because they very inert. The
problem is that they are expensive ($100/gal) so the much cheaper mineral
oils ($3/gal) get used instead. It is the breakdown and ageing products of
mineral oils that causes problems with lowered breakdown voltage. I think
silicones are also less flammable (if at all). In any case, it is worth
hanging on to.