[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

Burning Polystyrene, was LOSS FACTORS??

----------
From:  FutureT-at-aol-dot-com [SMTP:FutureT-at-aol-dot-com]
Sent:  Tuesday, February 03, 1998 9:36 AM
To:  tesla-at-pupman-dot-com
Subject:  Re: Burning Polystyrene, was LOSS FACTORS??

<<snip > While
> polystyrene is also a very low loss dielectric, it unfortunately has
> lousy solvent characteristics and is brittle. >> snip

  -- Bert

Bert, Chris,

Another very unpleasant aspect of polystyrene I've noticed is a
horrible tendency to burn and char from corona effects.  Whereas
polyethylene simply melts due to corona (at least at first), the
polystyrene immediately burns and becomes completely
conductive and non-salvageable.  I use this material
sometimes for form materials for high powered tube coils, but if
the coils ever flash over...that's the end of the polystyrene form.

Regards,
John Freau