[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

add. help needed

----------
From:  Esondrmn-at-aol-dot-com [SMTP:Esondrmn-at-aol-dot-com]
Sent:  Tuesday, February 03, 1998 12:35 PM
To:  tesla-at-pupman-dot-com
Subject:  Re: add. help needed

<< Dear all,

 I just started to build my second coil but seem not to be able to get
 out any spark anymore!! Since I am calculating as much as possible to
 start in the right 'ballpark'  this startles me very much and maybe
 somebody can advice me....!

 1st coil:
 -9000V, 30mA 120 V NST connected to 220V->output not measured
 -saltwatercap ~0.02uF
 -Static Gap approx. 1x1 cm
 -17 turns copper wire helical primairy, 4.5 windings/inch, 10 inch
 diameter
 -PE-form, 68 windings/inch, 4.33 inch diameter, 33.66 inch height,
 0,35mm diameter copper wire (=AWG 28?)
 -Toroid (2,0 inch x 9,7  inch) + (1.6 inch x 8,5  inch)
 -Measured sparklenghts: approx. 10-12 inch

 2nd coil:
 -2xmicrowavexfr 2,3 KV, 700mA in series swung up to approx. 9KV
 -0,232 uF
 -Static Gap approx. 3x0,3 cm
 -17 turns copper wire helical primairy, 4.5 windings/inch, 10 inch
 diameter
 -PE-form, 68 windings/inch, 4.33 inch diameter, 33.66 inch height,
 0,35mm diameter copper wire (=AWG 28?)
 -Toroid 2x(2,0 inch x 9,7  inch) + (1.6 inch x 8,5  inch)

 since this 2nd coil had to become an 'in between' coil for my 3rd coil
 it bothers me very much  that my calculations proved to completely
 wrong. Please show me where i went wrong..... and mind the 50Hz instead
 of 60 Hz...!

 Questions:
 I'll get two 7000V/700mA xfrs and a variac to power my third coil. Since
 I want to have many turns on my primary to get it a bit unsensitive for
 exact tuning, I think I need a much smaller prim.cap then needed for
 xfmer-cap resonance. Calcs give me a cap for  0,16uF. Since my sec.coil
 dimensions give a 94,8 Khz resonance freq, prim. induct. must be 17,62
 uH.

 1) is this calc for prim cap right?
 2)suppose safetygaps are set to fire at 20KV, what is stored energy in
 cap?
 3)Is it better to take a smaller cap to get a bigger needed inductance
 for the prim coil?
 4)is it true that with a bigger prim.coil inductance, the induct. of
 other leads is less influencing?

 I think sec coil must be tuned to 94,8 Khz as well. But how do I
 calculate the needed sec. topcapacity.
 5)is the 94,8Khz right calculated?
 6)I calculated an secundaire inductance of about 69029,23 uH and a
 secundairy capacity of 25,19 uF but both values seem to be far to
 big!?!?

 for sec. resonance at the calculated frequency of 94,8 Khz I quess I
 need to tune the sec. inductance, sec. capacity and topcapacity.

 7)is this right? and do the additioned coil capacity and topcapacity
 just have to match with the coilinductance?
 8)I dont have enough walloutletpower to let the coil run on 14KV/700mA.
 So I should use the variac. But how does this influence calculated
 values and what should I adjust?

 9) where can I find good calculations to build rf-safety coils between
 caps and transformer?

 I hope you can help me a bit further. Thanks on forehand,

 Arwin Wijnschenk

Arwin,

I ran some calculations on your coils.  Assuming the winding length on the
secondary is 33.66", I calculate secondary inductance of 64.9 mh, primary
inductance of 87 uh and a resonant frequency of 181 khz unloaded and
approximately 136 khz with the two small toroids as described in coil # 1.
This is with the .02 uf cap and assuming 9 pf for the toroid capacitance.
This coil should tune at about turn 15 or 16 on the primary.

You are correct on coil # 2, the capacitor is way too large and the system is
not in tune.  You are using the same primary and secondary as in coil # 1, the
only difference is a slighty larger toroid capacitance.  You should use the
same .02 uf cap as in coil # 1 (or slightly larger).  Increasing the
transformer current will not change the resonant frequency of the system.  It
only provides the opportunity to charge a higher value capacitor much faster
than the 30 ma transformer.  If you use a larger capacitor, and the same
primary inductance, the secondary resonant frequency must change accordingly
by either using a larger secondary (with more inductance) or adding a much
larger toroid.  Your system could probably use a larger toroid (with the new
transformers) maybe try a 5" x 20".

Coil # 1 would perform better with a new spark gap, like a Richard Quick
cylindrical gap.  You can find directions for how to make these at the ftp
site.  You want many small gaps in series.  Coil # 2, using a 700 ma
transformer will probably not quench at all using a standard static gap.  You
will need to use a high vacuum gap, air blast static gap or best of all, a
rotary gap.  You also might want to incorporate some current limiting into the
system to control all that current.

Good luck,  Ed Sonderman