[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

Good Pig

----------
From:  Eric Davidson [SMTP:edavidson-at-icva.gov]
Sent:  Wednesday, February 04, 1998 2:39 PM
To:  Tesla List
Subject:  Re: Good Pig

Greg:

Your resistance readings seem appropriate. The primary resistance will
decrease slightly with kVA rating at a constant primary voltage reading.
In other words, the primary resistance of a 5 kVA 13,800/240/120 tranny
will be slightly LARGER than the primary resistance of a 50 kVA
transformer of the same voltage rating.  I don't know how big a unit you
have. Don't be scared to apply voltage to the secondary (LV side). This
is really the best way to test the insulation integrity of the unit. Be
sure that the transformer is fill with oil. You can start by putting
120v across the 240v bushings and see what happens. If you don't trip a
breaker or see any sparks, go with 240v. Be sure the tank is solidly
grounded, especially if it is on a wooden skid or if it has a single
bushing primary. Smaller trannies dont have much in the way of core
losses and wont draw enough power to be noticeable. You may be able to
hear it hum. Stay well clear of the primary terminals. Pole pigs are
much different than NSTs. Even a 5 kVA unit can supply a few amps at
13,800 volts. This current will burn at the very least if you are lucky?
enough to survive. I know you know this already, but be careful. Hope
this helps.

Eric
<edavidson-at-icva.gov>