[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

need magnet wire/damaged sec

----------
From:  Mad Coiler [SMTP:tesla_coiler-at-hotmail-dot-com]
Sent:  Wednesday, February 04, 1998 8:28 PM
To:  tesla-at-pupman-dot-com
Subject:  need magnet wire/damaged sec

Coilers,

I know there has been some past posts on magnet wire sources, and I have
checked all these past mentioned sources. I need some #28 wire and I
want it for at the most $5 per pound. I am kinda in a hurry so if anyone
knows were I can get some please advise me. I have checked all local
moter shops and hobby shops and they all want $8 per pound - this is
robbery I tell you! I am looking for a 5 or 10 lb spool.

The truth is I developed a few burn marks on my secondary, and since it
is wound with the wrong size wire I figure I am best of to make a new
bigger and better secpndary. I have been using a vertical helical
primary coil, I couldnt get near as good results with a flat or angled
primary. I gues this may be due to the low power levels and small size
of the coil? With a vertical pri coil I always had the problem of
primary to secondary arcing. To solve this I slide a PVC tube over the
whole secondary, thinking it would stop the arc over. It apparently did,
atleast for a little while. But I had recently noticed diminished
performance and studied the coil closely. I found two burnt spots about
an inch up from the bottom of the secondary, both spots had burned
through the insulation and started two melt about three turns together.
I was surprised that this coil had enough strength to do any damage. And
to further the problems, the coil is coated with polyurethane and
removal of the damaged wire isnt going to be easy.

So, please, if you know were I can get some #28 mag wire for less than
$5 per pound please let me know.

Tristan Stewart