[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

RSG Idea, PSU Question

-----Original Message-----
From: Ian Hopley <i_hopley-at-wintermute.co.uk>
To: 'Tesla List' <tesla-at-pupman-dot-com>
Date: Wednesday, July 01, 1998 7:59 PM
Subject: RSG Idea, PSU Question

Hi all,

Been away from the hobby for a couple of years, family raising and all
that, and although not coiling again yet I thought I'd catch up with the
latest ideas. One of my problems when I last fired was that I popped the
last of my transformers (unpotted NST's and oil ignitor's), and was
contemplating using MOT's as the former are very rare beasts indeed. The
problem I found was the risk of secondary-primary flashover if more than
two secondarys were connected in series. Then I spotted in somebodys post
that they were using a voltage doubler arrangement. I understand the theory
behind the doubler and it would certainly solve a lot of problems, but it
raises a couple of questions:-

1) Was this arrangement used with a spark gap or solid state switched
system?

2) What sort of current/ power o/p  was available?

3) The voltage doubler arrangement gives a DC o/p and not much had been
documented about the use of DC, will this require the use of a RSG as I was
having very good results with an air quenched multi-gap powered by a vacume
cleaner blower (sucker?).

4) Any sugested values for doubler Cap's and Diodes?

Heres an idea that's just poped into my head whilst reading the RSG posts.
How about building the rotor disk as a shrouded centrifugal fan, as in a
vacume cleaner blower. Aero-modelers have been building model gas turbine
engines using centrifugal compressors constructed from plywood. The secret
in their strength is binding them together with epoxy soaked carbon fibre
roving. These compressors can withstand speeds of 10-15,000 r.p.m. although
they are only about 4" dia. If the electrodes are mounted around the edge
and are made hollow so that the air can flow up the middle, the cooling
problem could be solved and a relativly small diameter rotor made. If
enough air pressure could be generated and allowed to leave across the
actual contact face the gap could be an air quenched/cooled rotary.
Ian Hopley ---->  i_hopley-at-wintermute.co.uk
Aberdeen
Scotland          http://www.ifb.co.uk/~i_hopley

                  Callsign  M M 1 A B A