[Next][Index][Thread]

Measuring streamer peek current

-----Original Message-----
From: Julian Green <julian-at-kbss.bt.co.uk>
To: tesla-at-pupman-dot-com <tesla-at-pupman-dot-com>
Date: Wednesday, July 01, 1998 4:59 AM
Subject: Measuring streamer peek current

I was very interested to read the experiments with bulbs being
used to pass the full current from the streamer.   I also have
lit bulbs from the current of the toroid and calculated frightening
peek currents.

For more accurate current measurements do you think a small spark
gap say 0.5mm shunted with a carbon resistor could be used?  The
spark gap will have a fairly constant firing voltage due to its
small size and the resistor will have known value.  Ohms law
will give a peak current.

If the spark gap firing voltage is considered to be too varaible
then could a gas filled discharge bulb be used?

I think a spark gap/discharge bulb are going to be the only things
fast enough to catch that current spike that I can afford.

Julian Green