[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

alternate spark gap design (fwd)

---------- Forwarded message ----------
Date: Sun, 5 Jul 1998 20:30:46 -0600
From: David Dean <deano-at-corridor-dot-net>
To: Tesla List <tesla-at-pupman-dot-com>
Subject: alternate spark gap design

Let me bounce this off you-

Sec. of HV trans      RSG1     RSG2     primary of TC
(--------------------------> <--------> <-------------)
(                      l             )
(                      l             )
(                     ===            )
(        Tank Cap.     l             )
(                      l             )
(______________________l_____________)

[NOTE: I tried to straighten the diagram out, as it suffered from
 tab to space translation problems -- Chip ]

Assuming RSG1 and RSG2 disks are coaxially mounted
on a single shaft, have eight electrodes each(45deg. apart),
and disks are offset 22.5deg. so that they fire alternately-

Possible advantages-
Reduced power consumption due to elimination of short circuit
conditions across HV trans while cap discharges
Improved quenching of RSG2 as no tendency to power arc (no ac applied
during this phase)
Less noise getting back into power supply due to better isolation

Any thoughts?

This idea was inspired by a similar proposal for a DC system on this
list a few days
ago, I have been giving much thought to the idea since then, am just
about to start building my first
RSG, leaning toward the two disk charge/discharge design, would like to
know
if anyone has tried this, or can show an obvious reason why it would not
work
before I start.

Thanks,
deano