[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

Re: Measurements using field probe (fwd)

---------- Forwarded message ----------
Date: Tue, 7 Jul 1998 08:24:08 -0600
From: "D.C. Cox" <DR.RESONANCE-at-next-wave-dot-net>
To: Tesla List <tesla-at-pupman-dot-com>
Subject: Re: Measurements using field probe (fwd)

Hi John:

The field mill meter actually measures the potential difference and is
usually used with a calibration voltage.  We use 150 kV DC to calibrate our
units, and then the potential is directly proportional to the distance from
the measured terminal.  Wouldn't the AC peak be equal to 1.4 x Erms?  This
would mean the ACpeak should be equal to the DCpeak.  Example, if you use a
common 1N4007 to rectify the AC line which is 120 VAC Erms, then the DC
reading is around 170 volts.  This is the same as measuring the AC line
with a meter than is not a true RMS meter and gives only the peak AC
reading --- again around 170 volts.

DR.RESONANCE-at-next-wave-dot-net

> From: Tesla List <tesla-at-pupman-dot-com>
> To: tesla-at-pupman-dot-com