[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

RE>alternate spark gap desi (fwd)

---------- Forwarded message ----------
Date: 08 Jul 1998 19:19:38 -0700
From: Dale Hall <Dale.Hall-at-trw-dot-com>
To: Tesla List <tesla-at-pupman-dot-com>
Subject: RE>alternate spark gap desi

RE>alternate spark gap design (fwd)
Hi Deano,
I like your idea.

I use SPDT vacuum relays to effect the same end in my DC coiling at low
rates (loner discharges under manual control - relay coil is briefly pulsed
to induce gap conduction to minimize sticking).

I eagerly await your posting results to the list.

I wonder if there would be significant power savings.
Guess it would depend on gap width/dwell time shorting Xfmr though the series
choke inductance, but choke should effectively moderate that w/minimal loss.
Isolating the ringdown is a benefit. Mistunes won't feedback across gaps
to power Xfmr perhaps easing quench chaos.
Certainly want to size charge_ring posts to assure full Cpri charge for the size
and fastest dwell time considering your Xfmr Sec impedance. The discharge
posts can be much shorter in rotation dir (and even desirable to encourage
 quench).

Dale, RB, Calif