[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

Re: sources for large secondary coil forms (fwd)

---------- Forwarded message ----------
Date: Fri, 10 Jul 1998 09:14:27 -0500
From: "Robert W. Stephens" <rwstephens-at-headwaters-dot-com>
To: Tesla List <tesla-at-pupman-dot-com>
Subject: Re: sources for large secondary coil forms (fwd)

Jim Heagy wrote:
> I just found a website with some electrical, etc. specs. for the pipe. It is
>  <A HREF="http://www.harvel-dot-com/PVCpipe.html">PVCpipe.html at www.harvel-dot-com
> </A>
> It says gray or white PVC is 1413 volts/cm diel. strength, 3.7 diel. const.
> and volume resistivity of 1.2X10e12
>
> jim heagy

Jim,

You inadvertently made a mistake in the above data giving cm instead of mils.  I
just checked the site you listed and the insulation rating for the Harvel PVC
pipe is 1413 volts per mil.  This is a pretty good insulation figure.

With proper pre-sealing, PVC sewer pipe is an excellent choice of
coilform for even quite large Tesla coils.

Regards,

Robert W. Stephens
Director
Lindsay Scientific Co.
RR1 Shelburne, ON Canada L0N-1S5
Tel or AutoFax: 1-519-925-1771
*Custom built Tesla coils, etc., for museum display
 and special effects work.
*Canada's largest publicly accessible wall-to-wall
 indoor lightning show...by appointment.
*Future home of Electric Science World,
 educational/entertaining Theatre of Electricity.
*Antique TV Museum...in search and acquire mode now.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~ Inquiries welcomed! ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~